Pt. Parinte si nu numai (si altii au ridicat problema - de aceea, aceasta dicutie nu o voi trimite prin PM), diferente intre vanatoare de mistreti folosind cele doua rase, dupa cum le-au experimentat altii:

American #1:
How do pit bull dogs compare when competing in a catch comp with Dogo's? I know every dog is dif --but as far as what you guys have seen ---how do you think they compare? i own a book that talks breifly about pitbulls catching and helping in a farm setting. i have not been able to find a dogo book so im going to use what i can to train my new pup.

[........]

In cele ce urmeaza, "Arg" desemneaza un argentinian care vaneazade mai bine de 20 de ani cu dogo, iar A2 un american care foloseste pitbulli pt. acelasi scop.

A2:
Just my 2 cents not that it matters. I have seen several dogos catch hogs in the woods and several pits do the same. Tha main difference i see is the size. A dogo and a pit will both hit the hog hard and neither one is going to let go. A dogo is harder to lead to the bay just because of the size but thats the price you have to pay to have a catch dog that can catch and stop just about any hog. Most pits arent real big so they do sometimes end up looking like a hog ear ring. I personally have a pit but would like to get me another dogo as well. I am definatly not picking one breed over the other. I think a dogo would make a better catch dog for me just because i want a dog that will be able to handle any hog i come across. But untill i get one ill just keep using my little 35 pound pit and catching hogs with her. Who by the way DOESNT let go ever. Once she is caught you better get in there cause she isnt letting go.
Just my 2 Cents

Arg:
I am curious as to how do you find your Pit in the other aspects related to hunting besides catching....is she a good scenter / finder or do you just use her as a catchdog? And how's her wind...we sometimes hunt on horse in hunts that can cover as much as 40 miles in a single day, with the dogs covering more, because they come and go, combing the brush. We have found even the crosses or the russian hounds of greyhounds can't take that type of hunt for more than a few hours without dropping exhausted, while our dogos keep on working for 6, 8, some of them even 10 0r 12 hours non-stop...

A2:
Oh and one more thing. As far as intelligence my pit isnt dumb. She is very smart. She is very well behaved in the truck in the house or in the yard. She WILL NOT fight with another dog no matter what. And Heart/Drive anyone who has ever hunted with a good pit knows they have plenty of heart and lots of drive. This is an argument that could go on forever. I say When the dogs are bayin use what ya got and go catch some hogs. Some people cant afford to hunt a $2000 dog. And for those people i say get you a good pit and wear those hogs out.

A2:
We hunt totally different.The main reason i replied is because i have hunted with paul and his dogs. I have seen his dogs catch and he has seen mine.I just think he made a very bland statement about pits in which he has never owned one.We dont use dogos as the all around dog here in the US and very few people do even if they claim they do.We dont need our catch dogs running loose for 10 to 12 miles.We dont have that much land to hunt so its impossible to compare the way you (dogoman) hunt to the way we hunt.It's TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Its like comparing bow hunting for deer and rifle hunting for deer....two different styles.I have caught hogs with pits and dogos and you cant compare the two.....Its been tried in the past and everyone will just argue. I have seen both first hand and would follow either into a catch no matter if its a 35 pound pit or a 100 pound dogo.KO used to have a pit that found and caught several hogs on his own and had a great nose. He even found hogs infront of the curs so all dogs are not created equal,Some excel and some dont. Not ALL dogos are going to be the perfect hunter and neither are all pits. But you can find the best in both breeds and it would be hard to compare and say that ones better than the other at CATCHING hogs and i think thats what this thread was about in the first place CATCH DOGS not the ultimate hunting dogo. I'm not trying to hurt any ones feelings just voiceing my opinion..LOL

Arg:
I feel you are a little defensive and there is no need for that; I was just asking a question. I know we hunt different than most people who hunt in the US but I was still curious to know if you had tried your pit in an overall hunting performance.

I know not all dogos are great hunting dogs and I am sure the same happens with Pits, so I don't usually get into this type of argument; it's pointless A good hunting dog is a good hunting dog, whatever the breed, period. I do think, though, that at least for the way we hunt, the dogo is the best choice, percentage wise. Again, for the way we hunt the dogo shows some definitive morphological and functional advantages (more speed, more stamina, more weight in the catch, and probably a much better nose) which makes it the most resonable choice. BTW; by percentage-wise I mean you take 100 dogos and 100 pits, train them the same way, and I am pretty sure I will get better results in a hugher percentage of dogos than pits (as overall hunters for the way we hunt). I am not downplaying pits in anyway.

A2:
apologize if I came off a little strong. I guess after reading the post I got a little defensive and it had nothing to do with what you wrote, once again I apologize. I do agree with you in the fact that pits are not the ultimate hunting dog, they lack nose (not all but most compared to dogos), they lack lung capacity, running ability (because of short legs) etc.but I don't think pits have any less heart or drive than a dogo. They are as abndogo said kamikazes in that they go strait in and hammer the hog. Most dogos I've seen will assess the situation first and not just charge in,once again NOT ALL but SOME of the ones that I've seen. I'm not saying they won't catch but they don't just charge in and get a mouth full, they may for instance do a little side step and wait for the ear where a pit wouldn't. I agree with you in that the way you hunt the best thing is probably the dogo but we hunt a different style. If I wanted to run strait catch dogs I'd get a bunch of dogos but I enjoy working with curs and hunting with curs.it's just my preference on how to hunt hogs with dogs. You must understand we don't have large areas to hunt, the biggest place I have to hunt is on a buddies ranch in Oklahoma. Its several thousand acres but nothing compared to what you hunt, I believe you've said in the past some of the places you hunt are 50,000 acres +. If I had 4 or 5 dogos that I could run in a pack together I'd love to do that but that's a bit out of my budget. Anyway sorry to get off subject but I do agree with you, the dogo does have morphological and functional advantages over a pit if your hunting them loose the way ya'll hunt but not when using them as catch dogs.

Arg:
No need to apologize.
BTW, if there is something about which I have no doubt is that a good Pit will attack a hog with the same heart and drive as a good dogo will. In that sense, they are chips of the same block.

Regarding how dogos approach the catch, in my experience it is highly variable; it not only depends on the individual dog but also on the type of hog, the vegetation (down here the thicket sometimes do not allow the dog to do a full-lunge at the pig), the distance the dog has run before arriving to the catch (remember that the dogo gets to the catch after doing lots of physical and mental work, tracking or scenting and running for hours and miles...they are not fresh dogs which are brought on a leash to a bayed hog), etc. My dogo Ata used to have that Kamikaze style (which unfortunately might look awesome but gets dogs killed, liked happened to Juancho, another great dogo of my line that belonged to my friend Luis). After a couple hard lessons, Ata has learnt but still he is too eager and blind and you have probably seen the pics I posted when he was almost dead and I am giving him IV fluids in the field. From a strictly utilitarian point of view, a dog that attacks a rank boar blindly might be very emotional for the owner but it is not the best tactic to remain alive and hunting for a long time; I am sure you will agree with this...

Yes, I do hunt in individual estancias that are over 50.000 acres each; furthermore, these estancias are essentially a part of a puzzle over 1.000.000 acres, since their individual limits are almost symbolic, 6-wire fences which dogs, hogs and men can trespass at will (we are allowed to hunt at most of them). I have to admit I love it...riding a horse for hours and hours, climbing hills and crossing streams without seeing a single human being is something I consider I privilege for me to be able to do.

A2:
Like i said dogoman if i had the land or the dogs i would do it like you do. And dont get me wrong i love dogos. I just like pits to. I feel pits just get a bad wrap somwtimes. U can ask anyone that knows me i am very loud and outspoken and fly off the handle some times but if i seemed rude i apologize. As for our hunting style we just lead the catch dogs and turn them loose to the bay. Maybe one day ill get to go on an all dogo hunt but untill then ill keep catching them with my pit and some curs. And i also agree with you about the running in blind thing. Thats why my pit wears a vest and a collar to help keep her from getting cut. So no hard feelings to anyone.....